CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Experiencing Joy

The past couple of weeks have been... exciting. Kate is giving me a run for them money. I have cleaned poop off the front steps, the foyer floor, the table, the tub, multiple diapers, etc. Bleach is my best friend for peace of mind. You get the picture. It's been a little crazy, and therefore, I have been a little crazy. But, amidst all the insanity, I have had quite a few moments of what I would consider absolute joy. A small list is below:

* Meg's first smiles and coos -- one of my all-time favorite "firsts". She has deep, blue eyes and when she smiles I feel my heart flutter with joy. I am so lucky.

* Launa started soccer this year. She loves it, and seeing her love it and be so happy and energetic brings me joy. She has come so far in her behavior and is actually very responsible and helpful (most of the time). She also learned how to ride the mini four-wheeler. I saw her driving Kate around and both of them having the time of their lives. That's what having siblings is all about. It made me happy.

* I had strep throat last week and told the kids "I've had it. Get out of my room and give me some space for 5 minutes (not the best version of myself, but the reality). After my being unkind (to say the least), Kate came to my room, climbed up by me on the bed, took my face in her hand and sincerely said to me "you feel better, Mommy?" So sweet. It amazes me how forgiving and kind children can be, even when I don't deserve it. She also said "Grandma has baby goats? That's awesome!!" I love her sweet voice and the quirky little things she says.

* It's spring which means I don't see a lot of Mark these days, but when he does come home, and he gathers up our little girls and coos and plays with them, it makes me realize again what a good decision I made. Watching him want to be with them even though I know how exhausted he is brings me joy. Kate saw our wedding picture and said "Mommy, that's my Daddy!!!" I said "Yep, that's when we got married." Launa and Kate both told me that I did a good job choosing a Daddy. :)

And that's what my life is about these days -- being somewhere in between crazy and incredibly happy at the life I have and the people who are in it. :)

5 comments:

The McGary's said...

It always amazes me that they can still love us even after our crazy moments (and my yelling fits). I could totally hear Kate say "that's my daddy", she says it so cute! Oh and my other favorite is "that's me seester". Sorry about all the poop, I would be LIVID!

vvjenks said...

You kind of summed it up - on the crazy days - just don't forget it!

Drew and Valarie's Family Blog said...

Ashley, you are an amazing mom!!!!! I love reading your posts!!

allyson said...

If we didn't know the bad, joy would not exist. It's good you have perspective.

Andersen said...

Kids make us crazy but also grounded. Hope to meet Meg soon.