CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Farewell...

My Grandparents are headed to Utah today for a "trial" run at a retirement center down there. The cost was less and there were a few family weddings in the next vicinity, so they thought it would feel a little like a vacation for them. I went to say goodbye to my Grandma, but she was visiting her friends, so I missed her but did at least get to leave her a note, and Launa had colored she and Grandpa a picture. As I was leaving, I found myself teary-eyed. Just three short years ago when I moved back to Washington, I would go to visit my Grandma and she would seriously outwork me. She could still haul Launa around, and was washing windows, working in the yard, and canning like a mad woman.

I have so many good memories wrapped up in that house. Easter egg hunts, Christmases, Rook tournaments (I was more of a spectator), homemade ice cream and brownies, graham crackers and frosting, raspberries, the tire swing in the back, fresh roses, and just a sense of my Grandmother's warmth and kindness. I wanted to see my cousin, Kimberly, because my memories of my Grandparents house are so entertwined with her. I knew she would have the same memories and probably also be teary-eyed at the thought that Grandma's house would never be quite the same. We are the same age, so we chummed around at Grandma's all the time - so Kimberly, if you read this, I miss you.

Change is supposed to be a good thing, and usually, I am good with change in my own life. However, where things from my childhood have been constant, change is hard. I hope my Grandparents are happy in this new adventure. Launa is going to be Grandma's pen pal and is really excited. But, I think it's going to be a long time until I drive by their house and don't feel a little wistful...

2 comments:

The Black Family said...

oh, I miss you too! I seriously have been so excited this week because I will actually get to see them with us and them moving to Utah, but will miss everything about that house. So many good converstions took place in that home. I wish now I could have had a tape recorder on at all times to get all the laughs, Competive spirits, singing Christmas songs, and also tears. We are so lucky to have such good memories in that home, and with such great Grandparents. It stinks we all have to age!

I hope my kids can enjoy the same memories as well. You were such a great friend, and cousin and feel so fortunate to share so many memories with you. I miss you SO much.

Sometimes I wish I was Jande and could live next door and share the joys, and tears of motherhood with you. Give me a call (if you ever get a spare moment);) Love you, Kimberly

vvjenks said...

Wonderful tribute to Grandma & Grandpa Jenks - Maybe you could send her your words in a letter!

Wonderful memories will never be forgotten--